Date and Time: 2022-08-27. Site opens at 10 AM & Closes at 6 PM
Site: Izaak Walton League, Lois Green/Sligo Chapter
Turkey Thicket Drive Gaithersburg, MD 20879
Description: Theme and specific event details to follow.
Activities: Rapier – Archery – Thrown Weapons – A&S – Bardic – Children’s Activities
Restrictions: No animals except service animals. Please be aware this is a dry site. Caution: gravel drive.
Event Steward: Ava Deinhardt
All activities take place at our usual practice site at Tikvat Israel on Wedesday evenings from 7 – 9:30pm unless otherwise specified.
Attendees must be fully vaccinated as per site rules. Masks strongly encouraged but not required unless children 5 or under are present.
Sun, May 22 – Cheese making with Lady Leonarda at Leonarda and Lady Helena’s house. (PM Leonarda or Helena for the address)
May 25 – Largess making, week 1 of 2. There will be yarn and other supplies to make cords, hem handkerchiefs, etc. Or bring your inkle loom, lucet, or whatever else you might want to make largess for the current crown.
June 1 – Largess making, week 2 of 2. Continuation of largess making in order to complete any open projects.
Sun June 5 – Shire potluck picnic and camp Shield Wall making day at Lucy’s house, 12-4 pm
June 8 – Fun Facts about the Magna Carta. The Magna Carta was signed on June 15, 1215. Discussion about what it is and why it still matters.
June 15 – Shire Medieval Game Night with Lord Ishmael (Chess), Lord Nicolo (Cards), and m’Lord Gleep/Ralph (Mongolian). We will play games.
June 22 – How to prepare for Pennsic with Baroness Sinn (with virtual component by Lord Aurri)
June 29 – Newcomers night, lead by Lady Helena, Chatelaine, and Lady Leonarda, Deputy Chatelaine
Please note that all in-person activities are cancelled at the moment. Atlantia will reassess on February 4th, and the Shire will follow guidance from Kingdom regarding activities at that time. Check our Facebook page to stay up to date with any changes.
Activities for February are as follows:
- Wed. 2/2 – The Great Fire, parts 1 & 2. The first two parts of a three-part documentary on The Great Fire of London. Many thanks to Bran Mydwynter for the suggestion!
- Sun 2/6 – Winter Uni Confab (6 – 7 pm). An after University virtual get together to discuss which classes everyone took and what we all learned.
- Wed 2/9 – The Great Fire, part 3. The last part of the three-part documentary.
- Wed 2/16 – Elements of Byzantium. The amazingly talented Bran Mydwynter is again treating us to his new manuscript class. If you have not yet been to one of Bran’s classes, you are truly missing out. I promise that you will learn stuff and look at manuscripts in a whole new way.
- Wed 2/23 – Shire Bardic Madness. A bardic event with three challenges: (1) Limericks; (2) Roxstars!; and (3) Period FakeOuts. Despite the Shire themes, all are welcome to join!
- Challenge 1 will begin with brief instruction from Lady Ela on drafting the BESTEST limericks. This part is very new person friendly! And you can write it on the spot.
- Challenge 2 is a chance to show your Shire pride.
- Challenge 3, pieces that sound period but are not or that begin in period style but something goes awry. Basically, it is a chance to be creatively anachronistic!
Except for the Great Fire documentary, all A&S activities will be held at the usual Shire link at https://meet.google.com/vwn-gvet-pgo
A&S activities are being held IN PERSON at Tikvat Israel, at our usual time of 7:30pm on Wednesdays.
Please note TI’s policy requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination, and we will be checking it at the door (negative test results are not sufficient for entry).
Activities for this month are as follows:
- 1/5 – Part 2 of Shire Book Group (Time Traveler’s Guide to Medieval England – in person at TI)
- 1/12 – Huck Embroidery with Ysabeau (in person at TI) More info to come.
- 1/19 – Scribal Fun with Korrin (in person at TI)
- 1/26 – Cheese tasting & Cheese learning night with Leonarda (In person at Lucy’s house) Please bring a cheese you like and everyone will be able to taste others’ cheeses. Leonarda will talk through the different types of cheeses and how things get made. Kingdom vax rules apply.
A&S activities are now being held IN PERSON at Tikvat Israel, at our usual time of 7:30pm on Wednesdays. Please note TI’s policy requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination, and we will be checking it at the door (negative test results are not sufficient for entry).
We will also have a virtual documentary night on December 29. Information and links will be posted to the Roxbury Mill Facebook page and the email list by 7pm Wednesday.
Here’s the schedule for upcoming activities:
- December 1: Shire book group discussion of A Time Traveler’s Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer (IN PERSON)
- December 8: Cicero led by m’lady Lucia Orsini (IN PERSON)
- December 15: Needlebooks, led by Helena (IN PERSON)
- December 22: Open A&S, led by Kat Zamboni (IN PERSON)
- December 29: Documentary night on Thomas Becket, who was famously murdered on December 29, 1170 (VIRTUAL – link will be posted to Facebook and the mailing list by 7pm)
Here are the class materials for Lord Ralph, not the Eyebiter’s class, “Mongolia: Introduction to the Empire”.
Here’s the schedule for Roxbury Mill’s November A&S activities:
- Nov. 3: Roman Engineering: Battle Bridge-Building and Indoor Plumbing by Kat Zamboni
- Nov. 10: Shakespeare Play Reading – The Tempest Part 1
- Nov. 17: Shakespeare Play Reading – The Tempest Part 2
All virtual meetings start at 7:30pm Eastern and will occur at our usual Google Meet (https://meet.google.com/vwn-gvet-pgo).
Here’s the schedule for Roxbury Mill’s October A&S activities:
- Oct. 6 Battle of Hastings (10/14/1066 – 955 yrs) Documentary – via SyncWatch (Link to be sent day-of by 7pm)
- Oct. 13 Heraldry with Matilda and Hamish
- Oct. 20 Open A&S (in person?)
- Oct. 24 Sunday combo A&S and fighter practice (2:00-5:00), followed by business meeting (5:00 p.m.) (message Lucy Wigan for address )
- Oct. 27 The Pax Mongolia: How the Horde Set the Stage for the Renaissance – Ralph (SCA Name Pending)
All virtual meetings start at 7:30pm Eastern and will occur at our usual Google Meet (https://meet.google.com/vwn-gvet-pgo). Information about in-person events on Oct. 20 and Oct. 24 will be provided closer to the day of the activity. Information about the documentary/movie night will be posted to the Roxbury Mill Facebook page and the email list by 7pm Wednesday.
Roxbury Mill is still holding virtual A&S every Wednesday! Here’s the schedule for September:
- 9/1 Historical Ladies Docs (Eqyptian Queens & Pocahontas)
- IN PERSON Sat 9/4 Walters Art Museum
- 8 How to lucet – Kolfinna
- 15 Art History For Scribes II: Anglo-Saxon/Early Medieval British art with Bran Midwynter
- 22 Seeing in Color: An Overview of Color Concepts in European History – Ela
- 29 Open A&S and Shire Business Meeting
All virtual meetings start at 7:30pm Eastern and will occur at our usual Google Meet (https://meet.google.com/vwn-gvet-pgo). Information about the documentary/movie night will be posted to the Roxbury Mill Facebook page and the email list by 7pm Wednesday.
Here are the class materials for Lady Kat Zamboni’s class, “Make A Pilgrim Bag”.